not often in

Wednesday, October 20, 2004

tranzendenz

i love the mountains. the awe-inspiring snow-topped rocky peaks on the skyline. the lush alpine forest. and usually the snow.

not today though. today in zakopane, it is 2 months before the ski season will start and at the top of the cable cars and chairlifts (those that are operating), there is only grass. and sheep. the tinkling bells around their necks is the only sound on this day without wind, and beautiful sunshine. and hardly any other people on the mountainside, perhaps a virtue of arriving on wednesday at this weekend retreat.

The sense of peace is incredible. I took a few photos in a vain bid to capture something, probably a futile effort. The serenity cruelly interrupted by an SMS from Mum telling me of serious looking letters from my accountant :( bad timing mum...

I'm back in the basecamp of Zakopane now, a mountain town with the usual billabong and mcdonalds amongst the pretty restaurants and markets. Weirdly, the first thing I thought when I stepped off the funicular that had brought me back down to earth was 'I could murder fish and chips with curry sauce'. Maybe I miss England more than I thought....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home