not often in

Saturday, October 02, 2004

reminders of self

i found this passage in a freebie magazine here in vilnius

This woman must have followed me for ages. I saw her reflection in the window of the flower shop. I felt that I was being observed and I turned around. She looked straight into my eyes, which was almost indecent. I removed my eyes and slowly walked away.

It was a summer evening when nobody was in a hurry: near-nude young girls glided through the streets, the smell of expensive perfume and rolls lingered in the air; somebody was reading a book or was kissing on the bench. At first, I was walking slowly, then, when I noticed the woman, I hastened the pace. She was very pretty and this aroused suspicion in me. I chose a strange route but the charming pursuer didn't lag behind. Having left one bistro, I started running. She rushed after me.

I was running as fast as I could till I finally stopped to regain my breath. We were near my home. I stepped inside and closed the door behind me leaving her outside.

Paying no attention to her expensive skirt, a weird stranger settled herself on the pavement, right across from my windows. We spent all night looking at each other. In the morning, I grew impatient and decided to talk to her.

Unfortunately the woman was gone. I just found a note with a telephone number on it. Full of curiosity, I dialled the number. At the other end of the line I heard an answering machine: "You're a complete idiot. Instead of talking to a real woman, you're listening to digital mocks". Later I called again. The same voice said: "You're funny. All night long you were running away from what you're looking for right now"

I called again and again and listened to interesting things. At the end of the month I had to cover an enormous telephone bill. I never saw the strange woman again.

I realized that I am a very silly person.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home