not often in

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

cauliflower computer

on the subject of strange ideas i had in gothenburg, here's another one (there must have been something in the water)

a modern processor alone consumes 100W of power. Add the rest of a typical computer and you're looking at around 250-300W on average. Ok, so it's only a few light bulbs but computers (like light bulbs) add up. For the sake of argumnet, if we all did without one, we could shut several power stations.

But I'm not suggesting that we do without them. I'm just highlighting that a personal computer implies personal energy consumption. My suggestion is that we also personalise energy production.

Anyone who has had a curry will vouch for it's qualities in accelerating methane production (stop reading now if you don't want to hear any more of this, it's going to get worse...). Methane is a greenhouse gas, but only if you don't use it and let it float away. What I'm saying is, our doo-doo is potent shit man (sorry, bad joke). We've been using horse manure as fertiliser for centuries. We flush our energy down the toilet. What a waste.

So fast forward 10 years. I'm sitting on my Toto. It beeps at me. A red light is flashing: the power pod is ready. Enough of my output has been compressed and mixed in the right volume ratios with chemicals. I detach the pod, a battery powered by the remains of yesterday's Sausage and Mash I had for lunch. I fit a new empty pod, and wander into the living room. I connect my pod to my computer's power frame. I decide to write a new blog entry.

Powered by Blogger Powered by Blogger? Nah. Powered by my logs :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home