not often in

Saturday, April 02, 2005

guest blog

i asked arcoiris if she would write something for me about poland's reaction to what appear to be the pope's final few hours. everything else in this post are her words.

for a few minutes I have been sitting in front of the screen wondering what and how shall I write you, about Papa and the reaction of polish people for his illness..
As I have written in the sms: there is so much to say...but words do not come eaisilly to describe it...
people seem to be lost in thoughts,sad, quite and serious....but there is no despair as one could think...maybe becouse we are still waiting, he is still alive...
being catolics we should not call it an end, but there is a feeling in the air that something is ending...people have candles in the windows...
churches are full of people, praying in silence, in every church, but most of all in those places that Papa have visited,lived or liked....
there is this town: Wadowice, that Pope was born in, and during his last trip to Poland (or one before that..) visited...it was amaizing: he would not lead the schedule of the visit at all then, but was simply talking to the crowd of people, remembering things from the time that he lived there...laughed...;) so now, yesterday, today in Wadowice: everyone is on the street, or in church praying for him... everyone is wondering how shell we pray now and what for... for his helth?? seems sensless becouse he is dying....
There is something very mistycal in the air... you can see this reflection in people's faces, some of them are crying...but calm...
Now I see that the problem is not the lack of space in the sms...;)
it is just very difficlt to expres....anyway...
Pope is probably one of the most important persons in polish history( if not the most important...) he made us belive that we are a society, he made us belive in a solidarity, which started the fight with communism...He is a symbol, an icon, not only of faith for belivers, but of humanity for everybody...
Religion is only one aspect of his activity: he was the great fighter for human rights and humanity...he is a poet, a preacher, a politic, a Father...does it sound exaggerated? ;)
with all certainity: there is no other person in Poland, now, or including the history,that would cause such a response among people...
Nobody speaks of the other thing...time has stopped....
Of course there is the other side of that, I am wondering if it is not a kind of hypocrisy, superficiality.. Now, then we fear, we go to church, pray and love him.... why haven't we for the past 27 years? But then I realize: we might not love the church, me maight even avoid it: but we always loved the Pope...becouse he is so real and honest, his faith is his life, he preaches but he lives in the same way..
About hipocrisy: same thing with me: I do not go to church, althougt I belive... since yesterday, I spent there a few hours thinking, praying...not for him: but for me...I realized that I probably have lost a lot of his wisdom...I am thinking about all of Pope's messages and I wanna be better....somehow I feel that most of people thinks so....that is what I ment telling you about the sense of the soap opera about dying Pope...
I hope this feeling is not superficial and will not disappear...
Anyway...the things that are taking place all over the world now have different roots: in some cases this is faith, religion, in other : respect and the admiration for this charismatic fighter for peace...
So, no matter what reasons we have to cry out for his illness, and most probably- death...as soon as it cause something good in ourselves, let it be global...
I should not speak for others, I know what these days caused in my mind... It seems like weeks to tell the truth..( and I guess this was your point...;))
Of course I could not agree with every Pope's principles as I do not agree with all churche's rules....but as a whole he is the last authority I think...
He would not expect us to become saints, he only wants us to live the best life we can and not to renounce ourselves....and I totaly agree with that....
uppps, have you managed to get through this filosophic mess till the end?? :-) I guess it is kind of my confession...;)
I probably have not finished the subject....have I? ;)
Arcoiris

2 Comments:

  • No, there are still so many things to say...but tonight the one and only appropriate way of expressing myself is silence with tears in my eyes and candles in my windows...
    Amen...
    Arcoiris

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:34 am  

  • I'm writing this comment after HIS death..Last week was nothing but crying and moaning..Polish nation and the rest of the world understood who we had lost...and it doesn't matter if u r believer or not, what religion or God u believe in-he showed us as a man not only as a Pope-what one ,only one man can do.He was trying to teach us that only way to safe this world that nobody seems to understand any longer,is to find love in ourselves for other people..
    In Poland there is more than sense of GREAT loss ...there is fear as wellu can see it in people faces,u can feel this pain-Definately this is something that we haven't experienced since a long time-I've never seen my people,my cuntry so united..
    Now we are giving promises that we gonna fulfil his words,his wishes...I hope that we keep this words that we had given.I will try..

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home