not often in

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

nostalgic pushead

whilst i am feeling sorry for myself (it's gradually improving, tomorrow hopefully will be a day where i can actually do something) i have been reading a lot.

Right now I'm reading a book I have been intending to read for years and years. 1984 by George Orwell.

It's an amazing, visionary book. There are so many chilling parallels to the society we live in today and the direction it is going in. Fear as a tool for manipulation of the masses, that governments value an ignorant populace to preserve their power. And so on.

On page 132, a bell rang. I had heard this quote before. "I hate purity, I hate goodness! I don't want a virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone corrupted"

This almost-quotation (taken from the film version of 1984) is the introduction to the seminal Faster from the 1994 classic, The Holy Bible

I love that album. It defines my student days. It is unlistenable in some people's eyes, but they miss the point. The lyrics are the thing.

And at the risk of stealing Arcoiris' penchant for posting song lyrics, here is Faster.

I am an architect, they call me a butcher
I am a pioneer, they call me primitive
I am purity, they call me perverted
Holding you but I only miss these things when they leave

I am idiot drug hive, the virgin, the tattered and the torn
Life is for the cold made warm and they are just lizards
Self-disgust is self-obsession honey and I do as I please
A morality obedient, only to the cleansed repented

I am stronger than mensa, miller and mailer
I spat out plath and pinter
I am all the things that you regret
A truth that washes that learnt how to spell

The first time you see yourself naked you cry
Soft skin now acne, foul breath, so broken
He loves me truly this mute solitude I’m draining
I know I believe in nothing but it is my nothing

Sleep can’t hide the thoughts splitting through my mind
Shadows aren’t clean, false mirrors too many people awake
If you stand up like a nail then you will be knocked down
I’ve been too honest with myself I should have lied like everybody else

I am stronger than mensa, miller and mailer
I spat out plath and pinter
I am all the things that you regret
A truth that washes that learnt how to spell, learnt to spell

So damn easy to cave in, man kills everything
So damn easy to cave in, man kills everything
So damn easy to cave in, man kills everything
So damn easy to cave in, man kills everything

4 Comments:

  • we need such days as well, that's circle of life, simple ;)
    as far as 1984 is concerned...amazing, yes...visionary,yes...
    but scary, sad and depressing as well..if not most of all..
    I have to get back to this book..
    what do you think we are affraid of if fear is the tool of manipulation?
    Arcoiris
    p.s
    :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:19 pm  

  • I'd say that we are pretty much afraid of everything..
    Just look at how much insurance people buy.
    On a larger scale, witness the more manipulative strategies employed by governments and the media to promote fear of terrorism, disease (SARS, foot and mouth, CJD), racist violence, the internet (?!)

    By Blogger linz, at 3:44 pm  

  • fear is emotion
    knowledge that you are being manipulated and that you should try not to have fear is only rational, logical thought
    but emotion will always win. so we cannot help but be manipulated

    By Blogger viperx143, at 5:49 pm  

  • well...I cannot totally agree...but I cannot express myself as I would like to..( one of your previous posts would fit here, damn foregin languages:-)!!) living in a society, we cannot avoid being manipulated, that is probablly right...the good thing is to realize that and be critical for what you learn and see...
    emotion and rational thinking...there is another question: what is first..;) and which one wins, depends of the person I think...
    And, you can be afraid of emption itself as well ;)
    I overcomplicated it, I know :):):)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home